If you follow Rihanna, Cara Delevingne, Miley Cyrus, or other hard-partying, show-and-tell celebs on Instagram, you may have seen photos of their arms hooked to IV needles. What’s that about?
Some call it the “party girl drip.” Others call it the Myers Cocktail (after the late Baltimore physician, John Myers, MD who pioneered the use of IV vitamins and minerals for the treatment of various medical conditions).
Whatever you call it, intravenous vitamin therapy is an IV vitamin infusion that increases blood concentration of essential vitamins and minerals. Although it’s somewhat like a multivitamin, these IV infusions can do much more than the multivitamin you took with breakfast this morning.
Unlike an over-the-counter vitamin (the dosage of which is limited based on what the digestive system can absorb), IV infusions have proven beneficial in the treatment of:
- Acute asthma attacks
- Seasonal allergies
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic sinusitis
- Acute muscle spasms
- Chronic depression/anxiety
- Hormone imbalance
- Other chronic and acute conditions
What’s in an IV infusion?
Basic IV infusions are made with high doses of vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, and multiple B vitamins. The intravenous application raises the blood levels of these nutrients far beyond what’s possible with food or oral vitamins that have to pass through the digestive tract. The vitamins are slowly administered (by slow IV push or slow ‘drip’) into your blood stream over 20 to 30 minutes. The process forces the vitamins and minerals into the cells, correcting depletions and providing benefits can last for days or even weeks.
Here’s a breakdown of how high doses of some of the nutrients in an IV infusion work to support your health:
- Vitamin C
- Has an anti-viral effect – helps treat acute viral respiratory infections
- Can destroy histamines – beneficial in treating allergies, asthma and hives
- Supports immunity and helps the system cope with everyday stressors
- Promotes the relaxation of smooth muscle around blood vessels and bronchial airways – valuable in the treatment of asthma (Studies have shown IV magnesium treatment for severe asthmatics lowered the hospitalization rate by about 50%)
- Plays a key role in energy production
- Similar effects as magnesium
- When combined with vitamins B and C, it can extend the benefits of magnesium
- B vitamins
- Important for detoxification and cellular energy
- Essential for adrenal hormone production
- Supports metabolism
- Responsible for production of sex- and stress-related hormones
Additional benefits of IV infusion therapy
IV therapy provides a rapid increase in nutrient levels and promotes cellular healing. Along with helping the body fight viruses, inflammation, surgical trauma, and other health conditions, many people also experience:
- Increased energy
- Improved sports performance
- Improved healing and recovery from injury or surgery
- Enhanced immunity
- Stress relief
When should you get an IV infusion?
You don’t have to be hung over or suffering from a serious disorder like fibromyalgia to receive the benefits of an IV infusion. Like most of us, you may not know when you’re vitamin deficient or in need of extra nutrients. Take a minute to look over this list of circumstances under which you might choose an IV infusion:
- When you’re feeling run-down
- When you feel a cold coming on
- When you have the flu
- Before an important meeting or event
- Prior to travel
- Before and after surgery
- While healing from an injury
- When you have a hangover
- When you’re experiencing depression or anxiety
- When you have insomnia
IV infusion available at Viva Wellness in San Diego
Are you looking to boost your energy, detoxify your body, or accelerate recovery from an injury? An IV infusion might be exactly what you need!
Give us a call for more information or to schedule an appointment for a vitamin shot or IV infusion at Viva Wellness today.