This simple concept is the basis of every weight loss diet under the sun. The crash diets, the long-term diets, the meatless diets, the protein-rich diets, they’re all just variations on the same theme when it comes to weight loss. The success of each diet depends on the your follow-through, which is usually determined by how well it fits into your lifestyle.
For example, if you don’t like to cook, a diet that requires a lot of food preparation might not “work” for you. Maybe you’ll have more success with a shake diet or a nutrition program where the food is dropped off at your door every day. The point is, no matter what kind of changes you make to your diet, you will only lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat every day.
- Eat 500 calories less than you burn in a day, and lose 1 to 2 pounds per week.
- Add an hour of daily exercise to the mix, and lose 3 to 5 pounds per week.
What you eat also impacts your weight loss success. A diet high in carbohydrates but low in protein will result in lost muscle. Protein helps maintain and repair muscle. Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat, but it also helps increase your metabolism. And a higher metabolism means you’re burning more calories – even in your resting state.
- Multiply your weight by 0.9. The resulting number is a healthy amount of protein (in grams) to eat per day.
- Decrease your simple carb intake (rice, bread, pasta) and increase your vegetables to help you feel full.
- Drink lots of water.
- Keep your home (and your desk at work) free of tempting high-calorie snacks.
- Stock up on healthy treats with lots of crunch like carrots and celery.
- Eat sitting down, at a table, with the television off. Let your meals be a deliberate (rather than mindless) experience.
- Write down everything you eat. Try an app that logs the calories for you. If you’re honest even on days when you indulge, the accountability can help you make healthy choices.
What if moderately paced weight loss is not enough?
Standard recommendations for healthy, sustainable weight loss (1 to 2 pounds per week) may not be enough if the extra weight you carry causes other health concerns. Faster weight loss is possible, but it should only be attempted with medical supervision.
At Viva Wellness Weight Loss Clinic in San Diego, we can help jumpstart your weight loss safely. Under the care of Dr. Tachuk, you can lose a significant amount each week. Our pharmaceutical tools will help you lose weight while you learn to fend off your cravings and establish the important lifestyle changes that will help you keep the weight off.
Even though burning more calories than you eat is a simple concept, it’s not easy to do. We get it. But at Viva Wellness, Dr. Tachuk and the rest of our first-rate staff have been helping people achieve their weight loss goals since 1993. Give us a call to ask about our medical weight loss therapies or to schedule a consultation. We’re here to help. It’s what we do best.