There are many benefits to using dermal fillers to rejuvenate your look—and chief among them are the instantaneous results. Whether you want to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles, plump up your lips, or restore lost volume to your cheeks or jowls, you’ll see a difference in your appearance right away.
But what you see in the mirror when you leave your appointment isn’t necessarily the final result of your treatment. Most likely, it will take a little more time for your dermal fillers to settle into place.
Why dermal fillers take time to settle
Facial fillers are injectable gels composed of proteins, minerals, or other naturally occurring substances. When placed beneath the outer layer of your skin, they slowly spread out to fill in empty spaces. This provides an instant transformation to the surface of your skin, evening out wrinkles and softening creases.
As time passes, the gel begins to dissolve and merge with your skin cells. While this is what leads to long-lasting results, the process does take some time to complete. This is what is known as “settling.”
Bruising can delay the results of your dermal fillers
Some people experience bruising at the injection sites. While this side effect is extremely common, it does delay the final results of treatment until the swelling subsides.
Bruising can usually last anywhere from two to ten days, but you can promote healing by using cold packs or Arnica gel. You can also prevent bruising by avoiding certain medications and supplements, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, and gingko biloba, for up to two weeks before your treatment is scheduled.
Different types of dermal fillers have different settling times
The time it takes a dermal filler to settle depends on several factors, including the injection location, your body’s response, and the filler ingredients. Some of our most commonly requested dermal fillers include:
- Juvederm – This versatile collection of dermal fillers is made from hyaluronic acid and can be used to treat everything from lips to cheeks to severe nasolabial folds. In general, it takes Juvederm about 2 weeks to settle into place.
- Restylane – Also comprised of hyaluronic acid, Restylane can restore volume to various facial areas, as well as to the backs of your hands, and takes about 2 weeks to settle.
- Radiesse – Another filler designed for both face and hands, Radiesse is comprised of Calcium Hydroxylapatite, which stimulates your body’s natural collagen production for long-lasting results. It can take anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks for Radiesse to settle.
- Sculptra – Made of injectable poly-L-lactic acid, this innovative filler stimulates your body to produce collagen by working subtly and gradually over time. For this reason, it can take up to 6 months to see the final results of a Sculptra treatment—but the effects can last for two years.
Tips to encourage healing after a dermal filler treatment
There are some things you can do to encourage your body to heal more quickly after a dermal filler injection.
- Drink a lot of water – Staying hydrated is good for your overall health and wellbeing—and it’s particularly important for healthy, glowing skin.
- Avoid strenuous exercise – Strenuous activity can raise your blood pressure, which can increase your risk of bruising and swelling. Try to take it easy for at least 48 hours after treatment.
- Stay out of the sun – Because UV rays can degrade hyaluronic acid, too much sun exposure can reduce the effects of your dermal filler treatment. For best results, avoid the sun for at least a week after treatment – and always wear a high SPF.
- Take NSAIDs – While you don’t want to take ibuprofen before your treatment, taking it afterward can help control swelling and bruising.
Rejuvenate your look with facial fillers from Viva Wellness in San Diego
At Viva Wellness, we offer a wide variety of dermal fillers, including Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse, and Sculptra, all created to help rejuvenate and restore your youthful contours. And don’t worry, you don’t need to know which formula you’re looking for before you come in. We can help determine which fillers will work best for you. With over 15 years of experience serving San Diego, we’re skilled in the art of rejuvenation and beautification, and we’re committed to helping you reach your aesthetic goals.
Call us at (619) 222-5433 and get ready to look and feel your very best.